Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dev Update: Pollinator


Pollinator is my current game programming project. I haven't abandoned Creature Caretaker, but I decided I wanted to do something a bit simpler first. Pollinator is a reskinned version of Pickin Sticks, which I talked about before. In it, you are a bee who flies around collecting pollen, rather than a person collecting sticks.

The lovely thing about Pollinator is that while it is very simple, it has the potential to become a real game. Eventually the pollen will come from flowers. It will drift, randomly or perhaps due to changing winds. There will be obstacles, enemies, time limits, different kinds of flowers and pollen, competing bees, multiplayer - there are so many possibilities for even an extremely simple game like this.

But for now, I'm following the very simplest of Pickin Sticks models. At the moment, my engine works decently well. I have a green background on which a bee flies around. There is no pollen yet, but I did get both the bee's animation and a silly little tune I wrote working. Here's a (very boring) screenshot:


I'll keep you posted on my progress. Eventually, I'd like to try creating Pollinator in different languages, or even on different platforms. I think as a mobile game it might actually do decently well!

No comments:

Post a Comment