Monday, October 3, 2011

Life of Jiya: What Free Time?

Hello everyone! With all the article style posts I've been making, I thought I should drop in and give you an update on what's actually been going on in my life.

I'm finally done moving and have settled in to my new apartment. It's a nice little place that's much closer to work, but it's frustratingly still a decent distance by transit. Luckily I've worked out a schedule with Andrew that allows me to drive most of the time, which saves me a lot of time. The downside to this schedule is that I'm away from home literally from when I wake up to when I go to bed. I have a feeling this is going to take it's toll over the course of the term, but I'm actually sort of delighting in the business of it right now.

I'm making a point of making new friends and contacts at school this term. I've got a few people who want to study together already, which is exciting. I've also made some friends at our weekly ACM (Association for Computing Machinery, the CS club) "meeting" - in which we sit around eating pizza and playing board games. Overall I have really high hopes for this term and I'm looking forward to seeing where it will take me.

Not only are my weekdays busy, but I've got plans for every weekend this month as well. Next weekend is GeekGirlCon in Seattle. It's the first year for this new con and I'm very excited to see how it goes. I'll be reporting back in with my impressions of the con next week.

Not your typical magician.
After that, I'm going to see the anti-conjuror, Dan Sperry. My aunt booked him in her local theatre as a benefit to the local humane society (she's a veterinarian). When my mom asked how much that cost, my aunt just told her not to ask. I'm really looking forward to the show, as I've always loved magic shows and this one looks like it's got that awesome blend of creepy and charming that I really enjoy.

After THAT, I'll be running Zee at my second session of a Dark Heresy group I've joined. I do plan to post a session log for my last session with them, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. This group has been a blast so far, and I'm really enjoying the "marathon" style session - instead of meeting weekly for a few hours each time, we meet monthly for the entire day. I've found I really start settling into the feel of the world after a few hours, and I just don't have time to do that with a three hour session. The GM also uses music to help get us in the mood for different scenes, and that's been fun to experience as well.

Best vegetable ever.
Except for maybe peas.
And, finally, this month would not, COULD NOT, be complete without pumpkins. I have a strange and overwhelming fondness for this fall vegetable, and October is it's month to shine. I plan to have a pumpkin party (as I do every year) where we'll carve pumpkins, eat baked pumpkin with butter and brown sugar, roast pumpkin seeds, make pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie, and generally enjoy everything involving pumpkins. I know, I'm weird.

Amidst all this, I'm trying to continue both playing and making games. I've begun playing WoW again, and am working on getting my rogue raid ready. It's actually going fairly quickly, and I'm hoping after my slew of crazy weekends I'll be able to start up a weekend raiding group within my guild (which sadly normally raids on weeknights). I've also recently played through the masterpiece that is Bastion, which I need to do an article on sometime soon. I picked up a new game for my DS recently as well - a remake of the classic Chrono Trigger. I started playing the emulated version, but I thought a portable might be easier for me to work in to my busy schedule. I'm planning on starting a play by post Rogue Trader game soon as well. And, of course, work continues on Pollinator. I just got some images from my graphics guy, and I'm super excited to see them in action. I'm also still working on getting a website up and running for Bounder Studios. More on that to come!

All in all, my life is totally crazy in the most awesome way possible. I'm loving it and hope it never stops!

No comments:

Post a Comment