Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Creating a DirectX Scene - The Beginning

Remember back when I said I was working on a scene in DirectX? Yeah, that didn't stop being a thing. I've been spending most of my time with it so far simply getting used to the system, but I'm finally ready to start getting my hands dirty with the code.


This week, I've added a second model into the scene and learned to move, rotate, and scale the models. This will be essential if I want to have a believable space scene later on. I also unintentionally caused one sphere to orbit another due to a mis-ordering of transformations on my second model. I haven't decided if I want to try to use this method for orbiting planets in my scene or if I will use a less "cheaty" way of doing orbits.

My next goal is to clean up my code and remove hard-coded elements. I will create a uniform method for rendering a model, create an to hold my models rather than having a variable for each one, and work on how to render them using this array or a more object-oriented solution. After that, I'll be working on camera movement via keyboard input. And from there I should be in a good situation to start adding the more complex elements of the scene.

I'll be documenting my problems and discoveries along the way here on the blog, as I'll need all of that for the report due along with the program for my module.

No comments:

Post a Comment